Emerging Professionals events at SPNHC 2015 & winner of the t-shirt design contest announced!
In preparation for the upcoming SPNHC 30th Annual Meeting in Gainesville, Florida (May 17-23), here is a summary of the events planned and hosted by the Emerging Professionals Committee:
- Emerging Professionals Night Out. Monday, May 18 at 7:00 pm. The Midnight at 223 S. Main Street in Downtown Gainesville (either meet us there between 7:00 and 7:30 pm, or meet us in the lobby of the Hilton at 7:00 pm to share a ride or split a cab – the reservation will be under Kari Harris/SPNHC group). Free to attend, but the food and drinks are on you.
- Attending a professional meeting for the first (or second, or third) time can be scary if you don’t know many people in your field yet. Mingle with other emerging professionals before the meeting gets started, and you’ll recognize our friendly faces all week long while you build your professional network.
- Stick around for Monday night trivia starting at 8:00 pm!
- Emerging Professionals Committee Meeting. Tuesday, May 19, 3:30-4:30 pm. See program for location details. Free to attend.
- We will meet to discuss our successes so far and our goals for the next year. The meeting is open to anyone with a serious interest in planning EPG events or willing to take on more responsibilities in the EPG.
- Emerging Professionals Luncheon. Wednesday, May 20, 12:00-1:30 pm. See program for location details. Registration: $6.
- Network with fellow emerging professionals and learn more about our group while enjoying a casual meal.
- If you haven’t registered, tickets are still available! Click here to RSVP and purchase a luncheon ticket.
- Emerging Professionals Special Interest Group. Friday, May 22, 2:45-4:30 pm. See program for location details. Free to attend.
- 2:45-3:30 pm: Presentations by emerging professionals, followed by a general recap of EPG plans for the next year (for those unable to attend the committee meeting). If you are interested in hearing more about how to become involved in the EPG, this is the best place to find out more.
- 3:30 pm-4:30 pm: Q&A with a panel of experienced museum professionals. Discussion topics will include educational background for museum careers, internships and employment, and career realities, along with any audience questions.
We also plan to recap EPG events on the blog and live tweet as much as possible for those that can’t make it to the meeting this year, so watch out for blog links on the EPG Facebook Group and follow us on Twitter (@SPNHCEPG)!
Finally, we have a winner in the SPNHC t-shirt design contest hosted by the SPNHC EPG. Thanks to all those who submitted designs. Below is the winning design by Erica Krimmel! Thanks to iDigBio for funding Erica’s prize: a ticket to the SPNHC banquet and 30th anniversary celebration at the annual meeting in Gainesville next week!